National Association of Municipalities in the Republic of Bulgaria (NAMRB) was established on December 11, 1996 by 1/3 of all Bulgarian municipalities. By the middle of 1997 the number of municipalities-members reached 2/3, which entitles the Association to be a legitimate representative of the local government and to represent and defend its interests. Since 1999 264 municipalities are members of NAMRB, and the newest Bulgarian municipality Sarnitsa became member of NAMRB in 2015.
The Association is a legal non-profit entity created under article 9 of the Law on Local Government and Local Administration and under the Law for Non-Profit entities. It operates on a voluntary principle and on principles of equality of its members.
Our goal is the strong, effective and totally in favour of citizens local government.
Our mission is to be:
- "The Voice" of municipalities in Bulgaria, as we are constantly affirming as their reliable partner, centre for services for the municipal administration and promoter of international contacts;
- Representative and defender of the interests of local authorities under the legal powers of NAMRB;
- Corrective of the central government, as we develop and defend proposals for better regulation of local government.
NAMRB’s activity is focused on three main areas:
- Representation of municipalities in front of the central government: research, analysis, evaluation and development of proposals for change and improvement of policy on local government; lobbying;
- Support to municipalities in executing their powers: studying of municipal opinions and developing consensus positions and strategies; providing a wide range of consulting services and training programs; issuing thematic and advisory guides; providing its own training centre for municipalities;
- Participation in Bulgarian and international forums; and organizational strengthening of NAMRB.